The Bahamas Red Cross Response
How It Spreads
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the virus is thought to be spread by the following:
- Mainly from person-to-person, that is between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
Preventative Steps to Help You Protect Yourself & Loved Ones
- The best way to prevent illness, is to avoid being exposed to the virus
- Stay updated and use information from The Ministry of Health, Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO).
- Clean your hands often. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol
- Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Put distance between yourself and other people
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care. If you are in need of medical care, contact The Ministry of Health 24HR hotline or your local health care provider
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow
- Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, clean your hands with a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Clean & disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
- If surfaces are dirty, clean them. Use detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection
Ministry of Health 24-HR Hotline
(242) 376-9350 (8AM – 8PM)
(242) 376-9387 (8PM – 8AM)
94 John F. Kennedy Drive P. O. Box N-8331 Nassau, Bahamas T: +1 (242) 323-7370 F: +1 (242) 323-7404 E: email@example.com